I have finally got round to cutting a block alphabet for my Red Letter Memoir book project. The raw material is conveniently shaped erasers. I looked for a suitable free alphabet online - something along the lines of bold Gill sans - i.e., simple and chunky, and printed it out mirrored.
After I traced each letter onto the eraser - three letters per eraser except for M and W which are wider - I cut them with a scalpel.
Now they are ready for me to try out with some ink. I have plenty of erasers left should I need to re-cut some of the curved letters which were the most fiddly - although I do not want perfection in any case as I am going to accompany the headline letter with my handwriting.