Thursday, June 15, 2017

Stones after the storm

It had been raining all day, but by the time we approached the Callanish car park we could not see.  The rain was pouring down past the wipers as if they were not there.  We inched towards a space and stopped.  And waited: 'if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes'. 
Looking back, I can't remember how many minutes we sat there, glum, wondering whether to cut our losses and return another day - when, the rain stopped and the sun shone.  Just like that!  Of course the wind was still blowing, but we had got used to that by now.  And the sun soon left, but it remained dry.
Unlike Stonehenge, the Callanish stones are open to the public, and I find it remarkable that they are still standing.  But the stones are beautiful.
And are in a beautiful setting - even when the weather is less than perfect.
I was fascinated by the rock itself, its laminations - the pieces are so slim, how has it not all split apart after all these years? (and all that wind!?) - the colours, and the growths.
Below is a picture of a postcard I bought at the visitor centre made of a photograph of Callanish from the air by Colin Baxter.

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying following your northern isles holiday but this one of the Callanish Stones tugs my heart the most. Not so long ago I had done a small post on it so it's timely to see your wonderful photos. Wish I could visit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Marja-Leena. I was thinking of you as I visited Callanish. It is a magical place even with lots of visitors and their inappropriately parked camper vans, almost in the stones. And any weather simply adds to their atmosphere. They inspire awe. I count myself lucky to have finally had the chance to visit - I have wanted to since I first learned of their existence.

      Delete