Saturday, December 15, 2018

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Clive Hicks-Jenkins: The Green Knight's Head Lives (image from here)
This week I have had a real treat.  First I listened to the BBC radio In Our Time episode discussing the narrative poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  In the discussion was Simon Armitage the poet who has made his own translation of the poem.
I subsequently saw a marvellous programme made by the BBC, and which I had missed when it was originally broadcast.  It is no longer available through the BBC, but I found it on YouTube, and found it enthralling and inspiring.  Armitage brings the story and the language of the poem alive in his exploration of the landscape and other contexts in which the epic was probably written.
I had previously followed the Clive Hicks-Jenkins' blog posts about his work on the illustrations, and it has been a real pleasure fleshing out the whole poem in this way.  All I have to do now is read through the whole poem itself.
Clive Hicks-Jenkins: Gawain Arrives at Fair Castle (image from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment