Saturday, December 01, 2018

Admiring the anthology form

I have been wanting a non-online source of thought and ideas - a physical object to wander through, mull over, and enjoy.  Of course I encountered just such an anthology online!
My first encounter with anthologies which made me pause and admire was when I started teaching English and Drama in 1970.  It was in a bookshop rather than the school book cupboard that I found publications by Penguin Education.  Such brilliant books, they were a tremendous boost to me and my teaching - and my learning about teaching.  I regretted that I left the books behind when I left the school.
When I went on to work for an educational publisher myself, I took those Penguin anthologies to be a kind of gold standard to aim for.  Editing, commissioning, and designing anthologies at Oxford University Press taught me so much - not least through seeking content: texts and illustrations.  We wanted to provide access to education through books of delights - to reward and stimulate further curiosity, while fulfilling the same for ourselves in their making.
When seemingly unaccountably Penguin closed their up to then successful education division, we at OUP education were delighted to be able to take on some of their anthology publications.
But I had gone on to Children's books by then with a different publisher.  (Educational texts are for children, but they are bought by or prescribed by schools, while Children's books are bought (diminishingly) by libraries and parents/relatives.)  I would not, unfortunately, be involved with commissioning anthologies again in my career.
But as I say, I have recently felt the need.  Magazines seem increasingly superficial to me; I need something with a bit more of a chew.  So I have decided to give Elementum a try.  Both images above are from here where there are reviews.  And another review here - which points out one of the aspects which drew me to the publication, that the issues are books rather than magazines.  They are like collections of short stories in that the whole does not have to be read from beginning to end - but short stories including non-fiction, poetry, and splendid visuals, both art and illustration.
I've only just started the first volume, with the theme of Calling, inspired by living near the sea, and I am certainly hearing the siren song so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment