Friday, March 29, 2019

Garden outing

A couple of days ago we went on our first garden outing this Spring, to Waterperry just north of Oxford.  We used to visit in the 70s when we lived nearer there.  Then we stumbled across the first Art in Action, and for many years after I used to visit until the crowds became unbearable.  But all in all we have not been over in that direction for ages.
We were astonished that we had to park in the overflow overflow car park, but found that once in the gardens there were not many folk about.  It was a glorious Spring day.
There were many delights, and these are but a few.  The Pasque flowers were looking good.  I have never had success with these, but am attracted to them.  They have a very short season, and do not like to be swamped, so need their own space all year round.
The Pasque flowers are growing in raised beds within a kind of walled garden where the walls are beautifully clipped high hedges.
There are many magnificent trees in the gardens, and now is a time when the beautiful structure can be appreciated while the nascent leaves shine like jewels in the sunshine.  
This is also a time when the bark can fascinate.  I was drawn to the bark of a stately tulip tree
as well as to the subtle range of colours as well as the shape of these ancient apple trees.  Later in the year blossoms, leaves, and fruit can distract the eye.
On the outside of the real walled garden I was attracted to a shaped forsythia.  I had never seen this shrub grown in this way before, and found it lovely.  The colour of the blooms complements the pitted bricks so well.  I suspect a deal of work is involved, however.
Waterperry gardens holds the National Collection of saxifrages.  I'm someone who generally prefers small flowers rather than blowsy ones anyway, and I find that alpines are exquisite when blooming.  It helps also that 'in captivity' they are grown in raised beds, closer to be seen.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Eirene, the gardens are nearer to you than they are to us now.

      Delete
    2. I included it on my list of things to do the minute I read your post, Olga. I look forward to visiting.

      Delete