Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Escapism

image by Rebecca Hendin from here
Work is not the only injection of positive light into my life - a great escape for me is provided by detective fiction.  Reading in general is an essential, but fiction, and whodunnits are top of the pile for consistent pleasure.
I recently discovered an enlightening podcast which appears every fortnight, and the latest popped up today: Shedunnit, all about the golden age of classic crime writing.
The latest contribution starts a series about minor characters in the detective portfolio, and I am intrigued by one Montague Egg created by Dorothy L. Sayers.  I remember reading a story about him a long time ago - I think when I was at school - and I shall see if I can seek out the story collections available now.
At present I am reading Kate Atkinson's Transcription.

6 comments:

  1. I have Kate Atkinson’s ‘Transcription’ waiting in my reading pile. I’m looking forward to it. I always enjoy her take on the genre. I’ve seen rather mixed reviews so I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, this is not one of Atkinson's Brodie whodunnits, but a stand alone novel. I don't know yet what kind of mystery it is, or if it is one. So far, as ever she has pulled me straight in and I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. I thought I would wait until Transcription came out on paperback, but it's difficult waiting... I loved the Jackson Brodie series - it's a pity she stopped writing those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eirene, there is a Brodie due to be published in June - Big Sky. As for Transcription, I just felt ready for it, so got the Kindle edition.

      Delete
    2. That's excellent news - I look forward to the new Brodie. I very rarely use my kindle, only when travelling light - I so much prefer books, but can be so useful sometimes.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you about preferring books, but we have far too many already, and as we are trying to downsize our possessions, I have decided that reading fiction on the kindle reduces the number of boxes of books we regularly take to Oxfam!

      Delete