Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Surfacing before another plunge under

Surfacing
Yesterday evening I finished reading the recently published ninth novel in Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series, and am more than happy to leave it finally ended.  It was just what I needed - my hibernation.  
Now I am enjoying revisiting the Elisabeth Frink exhibition through the catalogue, but was wondering what to embark on for my bedtime reading.  I try to read at least one book from the current Man Booker prize longlist, and another from the shortlist.  From the 2018 longlist I read Belinda Bauer's Snap.
I had read Bauer's Blacklands which I thought was a great novel, but had become increasingly disappointed with her second and third titles.  It was Val McDermid's recommendation of Snap as the best crime novel she had read in a long time which decided me to try again.  I did enjoy it, but I must admit that I cannot remember it now.  However, I still remember the emotions and surprises from Blacklands.
Anyway - now I've decided to try something from the 2018 shortlist: Daisy Johnson's Everything under. (Another review is here.)  It sounds like a complex read, and that's what I want now, I think, - another way of hibernating, or sticking my head in the sand (or under water!).
Objective obscured

No comments:

Post a Comment