Thursday, May 17, 2018

Giving a fig

I have been inspired by Mags Ramsey's post on the current exhibition of Kurt Jackson's work.  The first image alone transported me to my childhood.  My favourite summer fruit was the fig (and my favourite winter fruit the pear), and I have not eaten a really ripe tasty fig since I was in my teens, some fifty years ago.  Sigh.  I remember well reaching up and gently pulling the warm ripe fruit from the tree.
Kurt Jackson: Fig yellow, olive green (image from here)
Reading Mags' post, and looking at the images from the Olive and Fig: Provence exhibition on Messum's website I was filled with a desire to make a figgy picture myself to commemorate my lost fig-eating days.
Adrian Paul Allinson: The Fig Tree (image from here)
First, however, I had a quick google through some other figgy art.  Here are a few that caught my eye.
Heather Mackinlay: Fig tree abstracted (image from here) 
Paul Klee: Fig Tree (image from here)
Catherine Forshall: Figs II (image from here)
Xchristakos: White fig tree (image from here)
Image result for Dee Schenck Rhodes fig tree
Dee Schenck Rhodes: Fig tree (image from here)




And this is my first pass scribble towards a working doodle for Giving a fig.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, already I can taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no experience with figs nor the tree so seeing these various artistic renderings are of great interest. A good start on you own doodle and hope I am right in reading a double meaning in the title. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, and yes, I do enjoy the folds of language.

      Delete
  3. I saw the Kurt Jackson exhibition yesterday - superb paintings, and the heat really shimmers off them. The online images really don't convey the density and texture of the way he uses paint. Well worth a visit to see them. Your doodle looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's brilliant with light and atmosphere, isn't he!

      Delete