Friday, December 02, 2016

Cold gold

Up towards the pavilion
Turning round to see the gallery building with the lovely Bruton dovecote on the horizon (reminding me of Scotland)
Once again our visit to Durslade FarmHauser and Wirth Somerset was in a winter-ish month.  And this week we were favoured with frost, ice, and glorious sunshine, so that the landscape and the garden were beautiful. 
I listed three pleasures in the previous post: the drive to Somerset, our brunch, and the exhibition of Louise Bourgeois prints.  The fourth pleasure was the garden at the back of the galleries.
The combination of frost in the shade, and sparkling gold in the intense sun was magical.
I am intrigued to find out what the plant which reminded me of cotton (above) really is.
I did not see any birds eating those seeds, but otherwise much feasting could be heard all around, the little birds only seen as they flitted through the seedheads.
It was lovely to find some silver amongst the gold.
The Christmas lights were being installed on the roof when we arrived, but I much preferred a small sign in the courtyard.

2 comments:

  1. It all looks wonderful. One more reason why I should make the effort to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few places worth visiting in the general area: Bath, Wells, National Trust houses, ....

      Delete