Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Procrastination, or expediency?

There are two projects, long planned in outline, one of which at least I should be starting now.  Meantime it is the tennis season, continuing next week, and I need work in hand for that - then with Wimbledon fortnight not long after Queen's.  As I do not want to rush into one of the bigger projects - also not fully decided which should be the first - and not completely comfortable with the outline plans yet, ... or is that my excuse for putting them off?... I have instead printed off three smaller pieces to work on.  After all, I not only have the tennis to think of, but also a few days away for which I always like to have stitching with me.
So I have printed one design which has been in the pipeline for some time, but tells me it's ready now.  
And I have worked on another design which has been hanging around in bits, so to speak both digitally and in my mind.  Suddenly today I had an idea which brought all the pieces together.
The third design arose from contemplating all the greens in the garden and the countryside around at this time of year.
The great thing about stitching is that it is such a facilitator of thinking and working out, so doubtless when July comes around and I am sated with tennis, I shall be ready to plunge into the bigger projects.  Now of course my next decision is which of these three to start with? - I'll put off the decision until I have allocated appropriate threads.

7 comments:

  1. Love them all, particularly the first one, no doubt because of the color - a favorite palette of mine - but also because of that blurry background to the figures which can be read several ways. The gathering of threads will no doubt lead you to which one to dive into first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would start with the first - no question. I couldn’t resist that luscious colour and the air of mystery about the figures. Where are they, why are they meeting and what are they saying? Maybe the stitching will give clues ... or will it deepen the mystery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you've summed up my reaction to it better than I did. Deepening mystery could be good! Maybe it's my religious background but I keep coming back to meetings of early Christians in the catacombs, or at least in their homes when they hoped not to be too obvious to the powers that be who wanted them stamped out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for your comments. In making my decision about where to start I had to consider carrying the piece around with me and perhaps snatching opportune moments of stitching - so the design with the most obvious stitch pattern wins hands down. The Uffington White Horse will be my next work in hand after I've completed the stitching of my current piece - any day now.
    Margaret, I am glad that the red design evokes mystery. The solution to the mystery lies in the mind of each observer, and I hope will stay so even after stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am so intrigued by the white horse one and immediately upon seeing it started envisioning how I would stitch it if it were mine! I can see why, under the circumstances that you will be working, it is the one that will go first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila I'm intending to keep the stitching simple, rather like colouring in. The whole will be filled with stitching. I have been in awe of that white horse ever since first seeing it, and have been lucky enough to live near enough to see it often. The country around it is folded in intriguing ways, and is very much tied in with the whole atmosphere of the place. My favourite painting of the white horse is a watercolour by Ravilious: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/ravilious-the-vale-of-the-white-horse-n05164

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that link - I can see why that painting of the scene is your favorite. Just love those undulating hills and the way you can just see the white horse, other details too. Honestly, the way he depicts it, that area looks a lot like my beloved Palouse hills in Washington state.

      Delete