Wednesday, April 17, 2019

An inspiring exhibition

Poster for a talk with West Street Potters in Farnham last month - with images from the exhibition.
There is a fascinating exhibition of pottery on at the Crafts Study Centre in Farnham.  I managed to visit today, not long before it comes to an end next week.
"This exhibition, curated by Professor Simon Olding and Professor Magdalene Odundo, is comprised of ceramics (with some textiles) from the important collection drawn together by Michael OBrien. The ceramics explore his deep and resourceful fascination with pots made in Africa, and most especially in Nigeria. In addition, the exhibition is used to encourage a critical reflection on OBrien’s own ceramics, which are less well known. We can see Africa in them, too."
Michael OBrian's dish above is not in the exhibition - image from here
Here is an illustrated list of the work in the exhibition.  I particularly like Michael OBrian's square dishes.
Unfortunately I did not take my camera with me, and the textiles in the show are not included in the list.  My favourite - and the most dramatic piece has been captured by Tim Parry Williams in his tweet on the exhibition, here (the pot below is also from the tweet).
The large pots from Nigeria have such a presence, and I also particularly liked their woven supports.  Have a look at pages 5 and 6 of the hand list pictures, and see the 'cushions' under the large pots.
Michael OBrian examining a teapot by Danlami Aliyu - image from here 
Interview with Michael OBrian here.

I found the exhibition inspiring, and perhaps has nudged the beginnings of an idea for a project.  Enough to give me something to think about, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment