Sunday, July 24, 2016

Repetition and alteration

Just as the exhibition Degas: A Strange New Beauty at MOMA New York finishes, I, miles away in the UK, have completed my reading of the catalogue - which is a fascinating examination of Degas' use of monotypes.  Use and reuse, sometimes leaving them in their original state
and often printing again as a literal base for work with pastels.
And what I found intriguing on top of the general interest in his thinking through process was his development in the direction of semi-abstract landscape.
As well as the excellent essays in the beautiful catalogue, there is this article online.

3 comments:

  1. Olga, I keep coming back to this post - beautiful images, some of which I have not seen before. Maybe I need to get the catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eirene, I also had not known about the extent of Degas work with monotype prints, and many of the images have not generally been seen before. A couple of years ago I was intrigued by learning of Degas' use of photography, and this follows on from there.
    I am steeped in printmaking books at present - now I'm reading and thinking about the Anselm Kiefer woodcuts which you saw in Vienna. Meanwhile I potter on with my own relief prints.

    ReplyDelete