Monday, May 02, 2016

Splash of colour

It is still too cold for the season here, and although I love the fresh greens of new leaves, I just feel the need for an injection of bright, pulsing colour.  One artist whose women's heads I enjoy is Alexej von Jawlensky.
Frauenkopf (Head of a woman) - image from here
His women always appear real individuals to me, not just exercises in colour composition.  I wish that there were more opportunities to see these women around.
Portrait of a woman image from here
Portrait of a woman image from here
Spanish woman image from here
Helen in coloured turban image from here, which has an interesting selection of Jawlensky's work.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Those colours! I can never get enough of them. I remember the first time I came across German Expressionism and the joy I felt seeing the colours.

    But, as you say there's a lot more of Jawlensky's portraits of women: they are individuals, and they look so interesting.

    Lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like them, Eirene. I used to have postcards up of Jawlensky's women up on my wall wherever I worked. They always provided a positive boost when needed.

    ReplyDelete