Monday, May 13, 2019

One thing leads to another

Christine McArthur: The Crimson Window (image from here)
I always like to follow up exhibitions with a poke about on the Internet for more information, more illustrations of the artist's work, and anything else of interest which might arise.  Pursuing the Still Life aspect of Elizabeth Blackadder's work I found the current exhibition on at The Scottish Gallery.  I was attracted to a very red piece, (see above) by an artist I had not previously encountered. 
Christine McArthur: Seven Pears (image from here)
Curiosity thus led me to Christine McArthur, and was lucky to find that she had recently had a solo exhibition at the same gallery: The Diary Series.  There is an online catalogue for this show on the same link as the title of the exhibition, and there is also a 45 minute You Tube film of the artist talking about her work here.
Christine McArthur: Sorted Threads (image from here)
I was delighted also to discover that Christine McArthur makes embroideries, inspired by her grandfather, as explained in her talk and in the catalogue.
What I found inspiring was the discovery that the paintings are actually collages in construction.  It has provided me with a spark of excitement and I have started a new notebook of ideas.  Of course my work will in no way be anything like the lovely works of Christine McArthur, but she has provided me with a glimpse of an inkling as to how I want to develop.
(image from The Diary Series catalogue)
Here is a quick look at a Christine McArthur sketchbook.  The integral use of words and writing also made a connection with me.  Inevitably, I now have a catalogue of The Diary Series exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment