Sunday, May 26, 2019

Divers threads

An exhibition showing how art can be made with thread: Thread: Contemporary Textiles is a show on at the Rheged Centre in Cumbria until 30 June.  Mid-week, early in the morning it was a glorious cool space, empty except for the exhibits, and such a pleasure to stroll round.  Although showing the variety of ideas which can be created with thread, the emphasis seemed to be more on those ideas rather than on the techniques of their execution.  It was for me the thought-provoking qualities of the pieces which attracted - my favourite being Louise Bourgeois' embroidered handkerchief: I have been to hell and back.
Louise Bourgeois: I have been to hell and back (image from here)
Others who particularly caught my attention were
Abigail Booth (image from here)
Sara Impey (image from here)
Rosie James (image from here)
Philip Sanderson (image from here)

I was familiar with the work of all of the above except Abigail Booth, but it was good to see unfamiliar pieces displayed so well and in such good company.  They made for me a powerful exhibition.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing variety of exhibits. I have seen the Bourgeois piece but none of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eirene, the variety was even wider, but these were the artists who appealed to me most.

      Delete