Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Trees in winter

Kenneth Armitage: Five trees (line) Richmond Park (image from here)
There is such beauty in a nude tree.  Shrubs, hedges, and trees show off their wondrous naked structure in winter, and especially so in snow.  I particularly like Kenneth Armitage's two dimensional renderings of trees - the drawings are so sculptural.  
Kenneth Armitage: Three Oaks (image from here)
Perhaps my favourite is the collage with cut-outs below.
Kenneth Armitage: Two Trees (image from here)
His large sculptures of trees, however amuse me; 
Kenneth Armitage: Richmond Oak (image from here)
I cannot take them seriously, even though I can see that they are the logical development of his drawings and his small sculptures - which I do admire. 
Kenneth Armitage: Green Park 2 (image from here)
(See this image link and here for more two and three dimensional work by Armitage at the New Art Centre.) 

2 comments:

  1. my favourites are the pollarded plane trees around Tate Britain

    https://carolinescamera.blogspot.com/2011/02/dancing-trees-outside-tate-britain.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete