Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Humans and other Animals

A wondrous exhibition of Elisabeth Frink's work, sculpture, prints, and drawings at the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Art at the University of East Anglia, Norwich.  Description here and here.  The show is beautifully laid out, with excellent information, and also showing examples of the work of sculptors and artist contemporary with her.  I was particularly delighted to see again work by Lynn Chadwick, Henry Moore, Louise Bourgeois, Francis Bacon, Marino Marini, and Genevieve Richier (Storm Man, seen below from here).
I absolutely loved a piece I'd not encountered before: Cesare Baldaccinni's The Man of Saint-Denis, inspired by Leo Valentin - the Birdman who also was a great inspiration for Frink.  (image below from here)

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful exhibition, and theoretically, I should be able to see it as it goes on until the end of February. I hope I manage it. I have not been to a really good, inspiring exhibition for ages, or so it feels. I love all of the exhibits you have posted, but particularly, the Frink one. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you do manage to get to the Frink. I go to fewer exhibitions these days, but I felt the need for this one, and was not disappointed.

      Delete