Friday, January 18, 2019

Escapism

Concern (preliminary doodle)
Over the festive season it was a relief not to hear anything about the current UK political situation because I had become thoroughly depressed.  I found that even reading anything serious during my usual hibernation period was not sufficient relaxation, and so I turned to my tried and tested means of escape: detective novels.
This time, however, there is a twist.  I had only just found out that Susan Hill had written a series of crime novels, and decided to get the first one for my Kindle.  Well, I enjoyed that - it did the trick of distracting me - and so I went on to the second, ... .
Darren Thompson: Winter Coat on Subway Reading (image from here)
Now I am on the 7th, and intend to go right up to her current latest one before I emerge.  It is rather like reading a doorstop saga of engaging quality, and is helping me to put news and commentary programmes into a small box.

5 comments:

  1. I’m not surprised. She is addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margaret, I'm on her current title now, and am somewhat dreading having to surface soon!

      Delete
  2. I have not read any Susan Hill novels, so thanks for posting this - I will rectify, once back in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series - or, serial as I have treated the nine novels - is not at all like the first books by Susan Hill which I read many years ago. Her first few novels were dark and psychologically mysterious - I'm the King of the Castle, and Bird of Night especially. The latter was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1972. There was a great gap of, well, decades when she did not produce anything which drew my attention, and so I was delighted to find the Simon Serrailler titles just when I needed them. But they served as comfort blankets, which the early books were not.

      Delete
  3. I really do enjoy reading that way. I guess it is the old-fashioned way of the current craze of television series binging. I've done it a lot the last year or two, discovering an author in his or her continuing series and deciding to go back to book one and read forward in order. Since I often have trouble remembering storylines and characters in series books if having to wait for the next one to appear, this solves that problem!

    ReplyDelete