Sunday, August 12, 2018

Summer winding down?

Plantlife
I am relieved that the great heat has diminished - so much that I have closed the greenhouse door after over a month of it being permanently open.  The fruit, tomatoes and aubergines, are ripening.  The batch cooking will soon be in full swing.
I am able to stitch again, and have resumed my great clear-out.  The sewing and quilting hoops which I have had for decades but never used have all gone to the hospice charity shop, as has much other stuff.  More yet to be redistributed hither thither and yon - with much relief, and increasing eagerness.
Different days
This year I was asked to be one of the judges for SAQA's Wide Horizons VI exhibition which will take place in September and then tour.  As a judge one of my pieces will be in the show.  I have also been invited to include three pieces in Wisconsin's Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts exhibition Fiber Arts in the Digital Age.
This has been the year of the big think about what I'm doing, and I now am ready to face the upcoming Autumn with new vigour.  I have written a post about it in my work blog.  During the hottest days of the past weeks I stayed cool in the shade designing a new website which I hope will be active soon. 
I don't know what kind of work I shall be making next - my energies will be mostly devoted to organisation for a wee while - but as ever ideas will doubtless push their way through before long.
Hello, Goodbye

4 comments:

  1. Olga, you must be so pleased about the SAQA exhibition and the Winsconsin Museum. Well done, you. Hello, Goodbye, is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eirene, it is such a lovely feeling when invitations come out of the blue.
      I'm delighted that you like Hello, Goodbye - it's a favourite of mine.

      Delete
  2. "The year of the big think" - ah yes ...! I find the thinking is easy, the implementation much more difficult. But I haven't reached your stage of joyfully clearing out, yet; or even really started it. What does it take to "be ready"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irritating answer is that it is different for each person. For me it was a mixture of despair and positive thinking to focus not on how I fitted into some preconceived notion of the creative world, but onto what I actually enjoy doing. Then to clear out all the stuff that was not needed on the journey.
      It helps to have easy outlets for the discards, however, such a nearby charity shops. We are fortunate in being not far from an Oxfam bookshop in Farnham where there is an art college, so donating art and craft books is a positive solution.

      Delete