Saturday, March 12, 2016

Seduction

For someone who loves both paper and ceramics as well as textiles like I do the work of Jong Jin Park is a seductive delight.  (image above from hereMy fingers itch to explore the works, and the minimalism enthuses me to try harder myself. 

My practice explores the remarkable ability of ceramics to deceive the eye. By using tissue paper and clay slip, I can make various materials looks like paper, wood and stratum but it is definitely ceramics at the same time. These effects meet with simple shapes and structures, contrasting with the straight porcelain. My practice asks us to think what is real? At the same time, you experience another deception "how was it made?"  I always enjoy the audience's reaction to my work.
(quote from here)

(image above, and more from here)
Simply elegant; simply seductive.

6 comments:

  1. You mean these pieces are ceramic? Sure could have fooled me, at least in the photos. Lovely! I do love cloth. Thanks for the introduction to this artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be textile, could be paper, ... the pieces do look lovely, Marja-Leena. I'm glad you like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful work, and he's so right about the ability of ceramics to deceive the eye - the material has endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having spent much 'hobby' time making pots in the past, I'm amazed and captivated by this - but also confused about his process. Does he dip the tissue paper in the slip clay and then layer up the results, perhaps with the help of a mesh? Is this even possible? I must investigate further!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ceramic like glass has that wondrous ability to take on the form into which the liquid or softened state is shaped or poured. Both fascinate me both as objects, showing the vision of the artist, and as process showing the technical skill.
    Margaret, I do not know how the layers were made, but you might glean some idea by looking at Margaret Cooter's blog and her ceramic adventures: http://margaret-cooter.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/ceramics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immediately after I posted my comment, I had a quick google of Jong Jin Park and came up with some explanation of his process here http://thisispaper.com/jongjin-park-selected-works/. I also had an in-depth look at Margaret Cooter's ceramics on her blog, which I follow regularly. ( I really enjoy it.) Both links threw some more light on things. One thing is true, however it's made, it's beautiful and extraordinary - and thanks as always for the link.

      Delete