Monday, September 07, 2015

Venice of The Isles -?

I am feeling thoroughly selfish and wishing that there were not quite so many other visitors to Skye. 
Even though this is not peak season there are just so many folk on the roads, and (so often badly) parked on the (narrow) road around the most popular spots.  I have no right to feel this way, but I do nonetheless.  I like to get away from the every increasing traffic round home, and would be perfectly happy to do without cafes and galleries to enjoy solitude (although public conveniences are so often a welcome sight!).
But of course the answer is simply to step away from the popular paths to find that solitary magnificence. (My snap of the real photographer - the pix on this blog are all my snaps.) 
I am intrigued by and attracted to the manifest variety of the geology.
The signs of mankind which I do enjoy seeing are the interventions of those who live by the land. 
(And yes, I do know that Skye is better off with all this money coming in, with jobs provided, and that the land rendered a harsh poor life for those whose income was and is solely derived therefrom.  As I say, I am selfish.)

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is indeed, Karen, and every day here we sigh with contentment.

      Delete
  2. Stunning scenery! As always, I enjoy these glimpses you share of your travels. Scotland at the moment is timely as I'm reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the drama and the intriguing details are so rewarding here. I'm glad that you enjoy my burblings.

      I do not know Diana Gabaldon's work. I am just going to look her up.

      Delete
    2. Ah - not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

      Delete