Sunday, July 19, 2015

Summer reading

I have been doing quite a bit of non-fiction reading recently, and needed some fiction which would whisk me off somewhere other, both geographically and in mood.  When reading the Summer Reading article in last weekend's paper I encountered this sentence by John Banville:
 Also in my bag will be Pascal Garnier’s Boxes (Gallic Books £7.99), which is sure to freeze the cockles of my heart nicely. For those unacquainted with Garnier’s work, think Simenon and Patricia Highsmith mixed, with jokes added to the black brew.
These two authors are enormous favourites of mine, and so it was a no-brainer to look up Pascal Garnier - of whom I must admit I had not previously heard.  Perverse as ever, I decided to start not with the newest title, but to go back to the first - or the first translated at least.  So I acquired The Panda Theory for my Kindle.
Last night I finished it: Brilliant!  I have already acquired Moon in a Dead Eye (I hope that the new translator will be as good) to establish  that this will be a summer binge! 

And I reiterate my delight at the qualities of James Robertson's 365 stories, which I anticipate missing next year.

2 comments:

  1. I sure do a lot more reading during the hot days of summer, often lighter reading but I did just finish a huge excellent tome on Sibelius (mentioned in an earlier post on the composer). I get most books from the library and thought to check out Garnier - nope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marja-Leena, I think that translated novels are not at the top of librarians' lists in these days of spending constraint unfortunately. Otherwise debilitating weather is great for getting through huge books, especially if they are excellent. I also find that reading about the kind of weather that you long for is a good antidote to the actual temperature!

    ReplyDelete