Thursday, June 25, 2015

Figurative

An intriguing sculpture greets the visitor on entering the RA Summer Exhibition.  It takes the damaged classical Greek model into a plastic corrugated sheet reproduction.  We found that it works, and pleased us.
Matthew Darbyshire: Captcha No.11 (Doryphoros)
Sometimes the paintings with the most powerful effect on me were ones where the figures were an element in something larger.  Mick Moon's work has often attracted me, but never so much as in the two paintings Noon Fishing, and Dawn Fishing, the first with people, the second with birds.
Mick Moon: Dawn Fishing
Mick Moon: Noon Fishing
Jock McFadyen's Inverleith Gardens I liked best of all his submissions to the exhibition this year(scroll down in the link), the others empty of people.  But his paintings usually have people in their spirit, if not actually pictured.
There were several prints which drew me across the room: all of Peter Freeth's (scroll down this link) including Mr Parkinson ventures down Oxford Street, below.
In the same mood is Celia Paul's Self Portrait in front of the Museum.
I love the trace of colour in this overwhelmingly grey and shadowy print by Barbara Jackson: Transience 3.
And the slight touch of almost the same colour in this delightful piece by Andrew Pavitt: The Coppice Man.
There is fun in Dame Elizabeth Blackadder's Two Snapper
and back to the thought-provoking with Susan Aldworth's Enlightened.
My favourite linocut was Eileen Cooper's Diana and Actaeon.
And I was not disappointed when looking for Stephen Chambers' new work.  It was the group of etchings entitled My Shitty Sisters which delighted me.
A couple of pieces gave me passing pleasure, such as Simon Kirk's Claude
 
and Denton Corker Marshall's small drawing

But, of all the pieces in the whole exhibition, the work which attracted and inspired me the most was a drawing and watercolour by David Remfry
I love it.  I was delighted by the trees tangled with the woman's hair, and the birds which are all frequent visitors to our garden.  It has inspired me to return to a doodle I made a wee while back, prompted by seeing again a reproduction of a painting by Dorothea Tanning.  I shall now get on with turning it into a lino print.

2 comments:

  1. So much beautiful and inspiring art here, Olga: a feast for the eyes, and food for the brain. And I'm so glad that it's inspired you to work on your 'doodle', as you call it, because I remember thinking what a wonderful image it was, when you first posted it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eirene, I think that this year's Summer Exhibition is my favourite, not least because the work is all reproduced and therefore I've been able to revisit the pieces for further thought. Thanks for the comments on my doodle. I hope to work on it soon, Wimbledon permitting!

    ReplyDelete