Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Always looking

There are some places that I wish were nearer.  Ruthin Craft Centre is one of those.  The centre has bold large advertisements for its exhibitions further to entice me.  It has excellent publications based on exhibitions, and those have provided some consolation.  Once we set off to see a show of contemporary baskets - brilliant - but the trip was otherwise a disaster as a large white van smashed into our car.  This, with the distance, and the awkward journey has meant that longing is as far as it goes.
Ruthin is in Denbighshire, Wales, and now I have been given another reason to think about that part of Britain.  Once more an article in Craft Arts International has introduced a subject of interest: in this case Rebecca Gouldson and her etched metal work.  (image below from here)
I was immediately attracted to so many aspects of this work - and one in particular again had me longing to make a journey to North Wales, to Denbigh.  As someone who enjoys seeing attractive street furniture, utility covers with interesting designs are a definite draw.  And here there are seven commissioned from Rebecca Gouldson.
The image above is from Rebecca Gouldson's blog, and here many others can be seen.
There is also an interesting site here which has more photos of her work at an exhibition at Edinburgh Printmakers, as well as a little film and a podcast interview. Here is another link to the Industrial Shift exhibition at Edinburgh Printmakers.
But perhaps I should stick with just looking and learning from afar, from my workroom - so that like now, I can click off and get back to work!

10 comments:

  1. I'm delighted to have discovered your blog.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Judy - I visit your Modernist Aesthetic blog from time to time, and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I love the links you find and share. That top image of etched copper and other metal is a favourite, reminding me of my own years of doing copper etchings. The etched plates are so beautiful in themselves.

    Pleased to find Judy's sites as she is Canadian - will be exploring over there in between work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Marja-Leena, I thought you might like this work - and the utility covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, I forgot to mention the utility covers! We had soem gret discussions about those a few years ago.

    Have I ever told you that I've found many interesting bloggers via your list, and there are many still to explore if I had the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja-Leena, there are just so many fascinating folks out there!

      Delete
  6. Rebecca Goulson's work looks wonderful. I love the first piece and I enjoyed looking at her blog as well. As for the utility covers - what a wonderful idea!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eirene, I love the deceptively simple-looking elegance of the etched wall pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look gorgeous - thanks for the heads-up, and for the links!

    ReplyDelete