Tuesday, March 10, 2015

On a sunny Spring day

This morning was bathed in glorious sunshine.  I drove to Winchester, and from the Park and Ride car park enjoyed the view of St Catherine's Hill.  As I drive I like to listen to Radio 4, speech radio, and as I was trundling down the motorway I heard a sentence which had me mentally shouting YES!
It was part of a reading of a book by Cedric Villani: Birth of a Theorem, explaining the origin of the Institute of Theoretical Science in Princeton.  Finding themselves rich the founders thought - there is no point being wealthy if one does not put one's wealth to good use, ... to change society for the better.
What a wondrous sentiment, and would that it was more widespread.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you went. Looking forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eirene, I'm afraid that there is nothing more to say about my visit to Winchester yesterday. I went to meet someone, and did not see any exhibitions. The Henry Moore was over in any case. But it was good to be back in the city, and I must return again more often.

      Delete
  2. I heard that book too. And agree, a lovely sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an interesting book too ... I must catch up and hear it all in sequence.

      Delete