Sunday, February 15, 2015

Familiars and other interests

Eduardo Paolozzi: Collage mural, 1952, from here
I do like to visit Tate Britain when there is no specific exhibition.  This is a good time of year to find more quiet and space simply to wander through the galleries reacquainting ourselves with old favourites, enjoying the discovery of newly displayed work, and relaxing around the mini themed displays.  These last can often be more rewarding than huge blockbusters.
Today I very much enjoyed exploring the New Brutalist Spotlight 1949-55 involving Eduardo Paolozzi, Nigel Henderson, and architects Alison and Peter Smithson, and Ronald Jenkins.  (There is an interesting associated article here.)  The main focus of this display is their work on the Hunstanton School in Norfolk.
Karen Knorr: Untitled from Series Belgravia, 1979-81, from here
Another Spotlight display which we enjoyed is the work of photographer Karen Knorr.  The combination of photograph with pithy text makes a compelling social commentary.
Henry Moore: Draped Reclining Figure, 1951-62, from here
I always thoroughly enjoy seeing Henry Moore's sculptures and maquettes, but today I was particularly pleased to see two small intaglio prints, the one above in particular.
Henry Moore: Reclining Figure, 1951-66, from here
On nearly every visit I try to seek out the Reg Butler sculptures
Reg Butler: First Maquette for 'The Unknown Political Prisoner', 1951-2, from here
One of these days I shall indulge myself in the Margaret Garlake book on him.
Francis Bacon: Painted Screen, c.1929, from here
The delightful surprise of the day was seeing an early work: a screen painted by Francis Bacon when he was about 20 years old.  I imagine that it must come from his time as an interior designer.  As a great admirer of both Oskar Schlemmer and Ben Nicholson, I was intrigued and very pleased to see this.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The Bacon screen is amazing. I have never seen a Bacon like this before. And, no matter how many Moore prints and drawings I see, I never tire of them. So, a very successful day you had, I would say, Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Eirene, I never tire of Moores. Yes, the Bacon screen was a totally unexpected extra. It was indeed a great day.

    ReplyDelete