Thursday, January 22, 2015

The methodical mind

Margaret (Charlton Stitcher) intrigued me with her being intrigued in her comment on my last post: perhaps my explanation of the test colour squares used in my doodle indicated a different kind of thinking on my part.  That set me off examining my thinking.
My husband and I have often discussed how his thinking is convergent while mine is divergent.  His thinking tends to be focussed and linear, while mine is constantly making connections in all directions - jumping back and forth.  But I am methodical too.  I think that one needs both to be a creative craftsperson - or indeed a publisher in the days when specific job functions were not separated out into different departments.
In 1992 I was in my final months of my publishing career when we went on a vacation to the USA.  It was a three week multi-destination trip, starting with five nights in Chicago. 
Five nights in Chicago (cotton pillow postcards, heat transferred images and hand stitched)
(I later used that visit as the inspiration for an exercise done by my duodidactic friend and I, in which we each made a textile 'book' for exchange.  I made five pillow postcards to fit into a soft container.  In those days the transfer paper I used turned all colours toward pink/purple before long!)
I had always been wanting to produce art in some form, mostly using ink, acrylic, or coloured pencil, and so of course visited a large art store - where I found on offer a complete set of Prismacolor coloured pencils.  A snip, and therefore not to be missed - especially as they were not available in the UK as far as I knew.  An illustrator friend of mine had raved about these waxy crayons, saying that they mixed like no other, and hence my colour swatch exercises of which these are a few:
I had no idea then that I would come to use these as part of my digital collages.
Fish grey (2007)

5 comments:

  1. I love how we can find and pull images from our other sometimes past work to use/reuse in new pieces - like connections in past and present thoughts. Fish grey is a lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marja-Leena, I think that at various stages we make something which pleases, which therefore stays more memorably in mind, and so is ready to leap out when an appropriate partner or occasion pops up later. It is a lovely feeling when it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prismacolour, love 'em - I have several sets, bought on various visits to Canada. This encourages me to get them out and see what they can do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated thank you for the mention above. I did indeed find your piece fascinating and I'm amused that my rather hurried comment at the time should have provoked a discussion.
    When I first saw the post, it seemed as you've said above to contrast two kinds of thought - the contemplative intuitive sort where perhaps our ideas occur to us almost without our consciousness and the logical going-through-a-set-path sort where we consciously try out ideas or methods of executing them. As you say, both are so necessary to a greater or lesser extent to any creative endeavour. I think perhaps that I was also suggesting that the inclusion in your work of the motifs from the logical trying out was a different approach to the other work I've seen on your blog ... but of course I am probably quite wrong in that!

    ReplyDelete