Sunday, December 21, 2014

Winter Solstice

David Gentleman: Reed beds at Iken Cliff, with skeleton oak and Iken church (illustration from the Folio Society edition of Ask the Fellows who Cut the Hay)  
The world turns.  Today, a marker towards light, always strikes me as bearing a positive message through what is really the beginning of Winter, oft seen as a negative.  Although this is the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere, the days will become longer more slowly than they became shorter on the way to this point.  Cold and wintery weather will increase from now awhile - my hibernation can begin gradually to take over until the turn in the calendar.

2 comments:

  1. I've not commented here before, I think, though I've been following your blog for a while. Had to break my silence today as Iken Cliff is just a few miles from where I sit, writing this. It is one of my favourite places.

    Solstice greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah, thank you for the greetings. You must enjoy wondrous skies in your part of England.
    I hope you enjoy the holiday festivities.

    ReplyDelete