Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Reflection

I always imagine that it must be more difficult in the Southern Hemisphere to take a period of reflection at the start of the hottest season, to asses the previous year and make plans for the one to come.  I welcome Winter, the darker days, the cold: driving me towards inward occupations such as reading and reflecting.  For me heat and light lead to looking outwards, while cold and dark encourage inner examinations.
I am thankful that I live in a temperate climate with distinct seasons so that life changes gradually and greatly through the year - nothing too predictable, but also with enough familiarity both to anticipate and regret as the world turns.  There are of course the festivals which mark seasons, Christmas being the loudest of these.  Now that there are just the two of us we can relax and opt out as much as is politely feasible.

7 comments:

  1. I'd love a period of reflection right now, but I also love the family time.

    New Year should bring calmer times for thinking. With my textile work, there is much to consider and try out. I feel at something of a crossroads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For folks with family this month is certainly not one conducive to reflective thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opting out is such a pleasure and luxury! And something I need very much.

    And like you, I love the distinct seasons, each with its own delights. I love the contrasts and the anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose opting out is a luxury, in which case I am very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right Olga- it is hard to be reflective during these hot months in Australia- though strangely I seem to get quite a lot of hand stitching done at this time of year- perhaps it is taking time out from other things and slowing things down , by just sitting and enjoying the rhythm of something that can only go at a certain pace- still the worried heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dijanne, I must say that I too have found myself doing a lot of hand stitching at hot times. As long as I could keep my hands cool it was a lovely way of slowing my whole body down to a cooler state.

    ReplyDelete