Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Impressed

Bill Woodrow: Black and White 1 (from here)
Reading an interview with sculptor Bill Woodrow in the current Sculpture magazine I was drawn to his Black and White pieces. 
Bill Woodrow: Black and White 8 (from here)
I was intrigued to read that they are white painted bronze on black rubber.  What attracted me was an aspect of bronze which I've found fascinating before: its ability to take on the haptic visual attributes of whatever made the impression.  In this case particularly the cardboard.  I was entranced by the bronze's ability to seem just like cardboard, as well as the cardboard being a completely acceptable representation of ice layers.
Miro: Personnage Gothique in the Yorkshire Sculpture Park 2012
 Bronze's chameleon aspects have delighted me in the work of Miro.  His playful approach to figure and form making using bits and bobs from here and there is enhanced by the unifying quality of the bronze so that the whole is obviously the whole, while the parts are still noticeably distinct.
The threads holding parts of the upholstered form can distinctly be discerned, just as the cardboard 'head' declares itself proudly aloft.
Giovanfrancesco Rustici: The Pharisee, St John the Baptist and The Levite from The Sermon of Saint John the Baptist, 1511, from the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore (Photo: Antonio Quattrone, Florence)
I think that now is the time to add another book to the hibernation pile: the catalogue -only skimmed through so far - for the excellent Bronze exhibition that was on at the Royal Academy a couple of years ago.  Sometimes I find it imperative to read the catalogue immediately after having experienced the exhibition, but often I like to return to read it thoroughly after having been spurred by something related.  I then enjoy the exhibition all over again in my mind's eye.

3 comments:

  1. I read this post last night, Olga, and I've been thinking about some of the things you mention, all day. The Miro museum in Barcelona, which was such a delight, so much of his work that I had not seen before, the mercury sculpture amongst many that I admired. And of course, the wonderful Bronze exhibition at the RA which was absolutely outstanding, as you say: the African art, the Brancusi, and most importantly, the Dancing Satyr. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating post. I love the Bill Woodrow and it's extraordinary combination fo materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eirene, I love the way that the most impactful exhibitions do stimulate thought again and again over time.

    Margaret, yes these sculptures are intriguing and entrancing, I find. His work is so fascinatingly diverse, it's always thought-provoking whenever I see new pieces.

    ReplyDelete