Monday, December 22, 2014

English trees in winter

Although it is now over 44 years since I came to live in England, and although I feel British rather than specifically Scottish, I still feel an element of living in a different land - especially when it comes to the landscape of England, and particularly that of the southern counties.  At this time of year I start looking for the Winter trees, and enjoy those that remind me of some of the painters I think of as being particularly English.
Samuel Palmer: Tree studies (from here)
Paul Nash: The Orchard (from here)
Edward Bawden: The Artist's Garden in Winter (from here)
Eric Ravilious: Winter Landscape (from here)
Kurt Jackson: Bird song between showers (from here)
David Gentleman: illustration from Ask the fellows who cut the hay (from here)

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful selection, capturing the starkness of winter. I especially enjoyed the Samuel Palmer and the Paul Nash but all are lovely ... And somehow very English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely selection and very interesting that these are all bare branched deciduous trees. Here on the NW Pacific Coast, the many evergreens dominate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I must think further as to why I think of these all as English, but I do, and love them for it.

    Marja-Leena we have very few indigenous evergreens in this country - Scots pine, holly, juniper, yew and box. Most of our trees are deciduous. Indeed where there are great commercial plantations of fir trees standing green in Winter it looks unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your selection is a feast for the eyes, Olga. I particularly liked the Paul Nash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Eirene. I like the Nash too, especially as it reminds me of a very similar view just south of Oxford which I have driven past often over the years.

    ReplyDelete