Friday, November 07, 2014

Windy doodle

The bitter wind whipped up in the past couple of days brought to mind the poem by Sara Coleridge in which November is characterised thus:
Dull November brings the blast;
Then the leaves are whirling fast.

And while I was thinking about something else, I doodled:
I do like the seasons to be distinct, and each month to make its particular presence felt.  It is monotonous weather which gets under my skin.  It will doubtless have been noted that there are no leaves in this image; that's where the stitching (if this gets that far) will come in.

2 comments:

  1. How timely! We've had several days of bluster, and I noted on my walk today that most of the leaves have succumbed. The lines of the poem most apt. Also these from the song California Dreamin': "All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey..." Well not so grey today as we did have a break in the rain with some sun making it through the clouds. Too bad the leaves are gone from the trees.

    But like you, I prefer distinct seasons, one of the reason I live where I do. Love the image you've posted here - it could be me soon! It's a good start and I like the idea that the leaves will be quilted rather than show up more realistically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheila - I do love those grey days when the leaves are falling like snow. And there is something magnificent about being able to see the structure of the trees when the leaves are carpeting the ground.

    ReplyDelete