Of course because I did a little watering yesterday evening, I awoke to find that some rain had fallen overnight! Never mind, it is still sunny and unseasonably warm yet into October.
I returned to printing, and to one plate particularly, provisionally entitled Sutherland serenade. I had already prepared a few pieces of scrunched and soft pastel covered tissue paper to use with the print. I have developed a strong preference for adding colour in this way rather than either using multiple plates or reduction printing.
This could be described as laziness - except that the manipulation of glued layers of coloured tissue can be MADDENING!! On the other hand, some of the results can not only work really well, but the delightful odd accident principle which works so often in printmaking generally also contributes positively from time to time.
I was apprehensive about this one: the cutting out of the orange swirl was a real pain, and the stickiness drove me mad, but I really like the result.
The second of the examples here has not worked so well. I do like the colours together, but the hard line shows so much more here, probably because I did not use tissue paper for the blue swirl. Trying to use up stuff I already have, I took this stiffer while still very thin paper which I had already painted with a wash of water-diluted pastel. Also, this provides a good example of what can happen with the glued paper: I had to cut the swirl because it was misbehaving, and even after that it folded on itself during the printing.
I used other bits and pieces, but nothing came out which encouraged me as much as these two, and so I shall prepare more tissue with pastel to try again in a few days. Meanwhile, at the end of today's session in order to use up the remaining ink, I proofed a few more of my waving folks.