Friday, October 31, 2014

Hop, skip, jump - question 1

I was invited by one Margaret - of Charlton Stitcher blog - to take part in blog hopping, but am emulating another Margaret - as stated in this post - and am skipping the chain.  But, like the latter I am intrigued by the questions set to be answered.  They are broad ranging enquiries which have arrived for me at a point when I coincidentally want to clarify for myself what I am about.

The questions are:
1. What am I working on?
2. How does my work differ from others in its genre?
3. Why do I create what I do?
4. How does my creating process work?

1. What am I working on?
Answering this question will provide an illustration for the answer to number 4.  I work on different stages of several projects at the same time. 
I am almost halfway through stitching pieces of cotton which were printed using archival ink jet.  These pieces will together become a quilt.  The snap below shows the calico at the back of the pieces which are hard to stitch and which are paining my fingers - because of the arthritis, but mostly because of the difficulty of pushing the needle through the prepared-for-printing cotton.  I do not want to show the front at this stage, just in case the project takes so long that I can enter the piece for the next Quilt National exhibition!
There are 12 pieces to be stitched before I join them together, so I am rewarding myself with a silken respite every four pieces completed.  These are three silk pieces awaiting choice.  They too were printed using ink jet on prepared fabric from Crafty Computer Paper.  One of the great advantages of hand stitching is that it gives me a great deal of time to think about other projects - past, ongoing, and future while my hands work.
I am also working on at least two probably keepers digital designs, doodling around some other possibles, while 'backburner' thinking about several others.  My digital working also at some stages involves a deal of mechanical tasks which allow my mind to roam on various bits of speculative problem solving.
At the same time I have been and still am thinking about the subject of grids - an exercise with my duo-didactic friend, and from that pondering can add more developing digital designs to the above (as shown in previous posts). 
As well as that lot, I am solving the question of how to do the final quilting of a large otherwise nearly completed quilt.  I shall make a final decision about this once the weather turns really cold, and I need something to keep me cosy while I work!
I also have several lino prints in progress (some of which were mentioned here) that will probably eventually become fabric work. 

I will tackle question two in the next post.

3 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings about chains but I am glad that you have decided to answer the questions. Fascinating to see how your thoughts and work progress, connect, interconnect and take shape. Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very many thanks for this, Olga. I have updated my post of today to give mention that you've already psted.
    This is fascinating as always - not least because of the practical tips. I'll be following up that archival ink jet which is just what I need, and also the prepared for printing fabric from Crafty Computer paper. I've come across similar before and not liked the feel of the fabric when I stitched. Is the one you use stiff and hard to work?
    I'm looking forward to the next post too ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Eirene.

    I'm glad that the information will help you, Margaret. The cotton I'm working is coated with something like chalk which makes it hard for hand stitching. It also absorbs a lot of the ink, making the result somewhat pastel-looking. My current work is black and white with not much black, so that's fine.
    The silk, however works like a dream: holds the ink on the surface well, and is a joy to stitch by hand. I do suspect, however, that the two fabrics will reverse in their characteristics if stitched by machine.

    ReplyDelete