Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Dusty doodles

Autumn really is upon us now: wind, rain, chill, nights drawing in, ... the increasing desire for comfort food, .... Each season I do a weed of my files, and discovered these two appropriately autumnal ones from last century.  They were both drawn using now ancient (!) digital technology, but I'm glad that I can still keep them, taking up hardly any space at all.
And this below was one of my first works using running stitch only - a detail from a piece stitched on grey habotai silk which I had painted, the whole work also appropriately called Mists and mellow made in 2001.
As well as the arrival of a loved season, other good news here is that I have been accepted to exhibit in Quilt National 2015.

11 comments:

  1. I just spotted your name on the acceptance list and thought how wonderful! I think your style and type of work is just the thing Quilt National should be looking for. Some years I don't think they do well at targeting innovative work.

    The stitched piece has the look of autumn leaves all atumble on the ground. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all three pieces very much, and I think that the first two need more than being 'kept': they are far too lovely to be kept in a file,

    Congratulations re-Quilt National, well deserved, and I look forward to seeing your the work you will exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all three. I am delighted for the piece, especially as it is one of the first which was developed from my traditional printmaking.

    Thank you Eirene for your comments about my doodles. In fact I used the top one on writing paper for friends all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy your thoughtful blog. And hearty congratulations on QN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilt National - how wonderful! I too look forward to seeing what you exhibit. Meanwhile there are those delightful doodles to enjoy - so much movement, especially appreciated on a very windy autumn day - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jenny, and thank you for your kind words.

    Margaret, thank you too - it was especially windy today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Olga. Will you attend the show? I would love to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula, thank you and congratulations to you too. I don't think that I shall be at the Dairy Barn next year, unfortunately. It would be fun to meet everyone and see the work for real.

    ReplyDelete