Monday, October 20, 2014

Brain-cleansing pause

This past weekend I have been stalwartly making my way through the excellent but enormous meal of input of the Marine Archaeology course.  I still have not completed last week's information, and in the middle of sections ranging both in time and geography I just had to give my brain a rest.  So I concentrated on something else to aid digestion.  Leftovers from my thinking about grids, Bauhaus, and the colours around me brought about this:
Autumn interior (design in progress)
On my way now to continue my attempted absorption of the facts about boat design through the ages, trade routes in the Eastern Mediterranean in the Bronze Age, Viking burials, ... etc. I took a few snaps in the bit of the garden I pass from the front door to the annex.  The spill over of seasons is such a delightful mix and I love spotting so many little gems.
The Dortmund rose is now in full hip, draped over the winter jasmine, the leaves of which are developing a gloss just as the rose's are turning.
The callicarpa as ever is just stunning at this time of year.  The birds never touch the lurid berries if there is alternative food around.  Can they see the 'unnatural' colour, I wonder?
And co-ordinating beautifully, not paying any attention to what time of year it is, the Mermaid rose is still flowering.
A drainage project for winter is waiting for the comfrey to realise that it should all be dying back - not flowering!
The annuals keep on going.  I cannot bear to take them out when they are still producing such lovely blooms.  The mass of leaves of the nasturtium are there even after a second flush of flowers - and look at the front rim of the pot: a new seedling!
The fuchsia drapes itself elegantly against the annex door.  Even though it soaks my skirt on rainy days, even though I bring so many flower heads into the annex with me, I love having to brush my way past it.  This is the last year of that ridiculous pleasure; this winter we are moving the plant to a more appropriate spot.
 
And down by the door the winter flowering ground cover is forming buds (sorry, I can never remember the name - I really must look it up), and I was astonished as I looked closer that the snowdrops' leaves are up and already being nibbled by some passing pest.
Now, back to facts aquatic!

4 comments:

  1. Funny how left over thinking - even someone else's - can lurk in the mind to reappear at unexpected times and unbidden. I'm having trouble with the fourth photo down in your last post - those trees, those shadows and that grid - what an amazing yet simple image and so much the way my mind seems to be working right now. It's giving me ideas on how to proceed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret it is interesting what can set off a train of thought, help untie knots, or simply help something fall into place. It happens to me with my own photos which spark of something maybe even years later - and certainly other images from hither, thither, and yon. The creative brain is quite a scavenger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrasts of Autumn Interior: the contrast of the organic, curvy lines of the figure (and how expressive she is!) and the geometric, jagged edges of the background (and what wonderful colours they are!). I hope you will develop this design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Eirene. One fundamental question about my designs is whether they need stitch to complete them, and if not are they good enough to stand up on their own. I do like this one, however, so I shall persist. I have not been so angular previously, and that is causing problems. On the other hand I love problem-solving, ....

    ReplyDelete