Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Studio still life scan

I was looking at a piece of wood I found in the garden and wondering which way up to keep it.  The flattest edge, on which it most obviously should sit, is so interesting.  This got me wondering about the bottoms of other bits and bobs that are around my work spaces. 
And I decided to sit them all on the scanner, as they would sit on my shelves, and photograph their normally hidden side.
1 is a piece of flint from the garden, which is full of them,
2 is the inside of a small shell from the beach in Nice, France,
3 is a tassle with beads which I made years ago on a machine embroidery course at the Embroiderers' Guild in Hampton Court (I have never had the need to make another one),
4 is a basket I was given in Indonesia when I was working there,
5 is a dried thistle flower head from Corinth, Greece,
6 is a stone from the Northumbrian coast, NE England,
7 is a ball of fibre, a present from a young friend,
8 is a basket made by a friend in New Hampshire, USA,
9 is the piece of wood which spurred this exercise,
10 is a twist of bark from a tree in Zimbabwe, picked up in the botanic gardens, but I did not find the name of the tree
11 is a silver and enamelled pill box from my Greek grandmother
12 is a bone ornament from Zimbabwe,
13 is a piece of coral which I found on Vigie beach in St Lucia, East Caribbean when I was teaching a workshop in a hotel right there.
14 is a shell from Oxwich Bay, Gower, Wales

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting collection of objects and an even more interesting exercise - inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought this about baskets in particular. The bottoms and insides can be as decorative as the outside that is always visible but in essence if used, that is not the part meant to be seen. I have some wooden bowls that I prop on their sides on the coffee table so I can see the grainlines all round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eirene, yes, I have been looking around at everything in the house and thinking about what is hidden.

    Sheila, I agree that baskets and bowls do have beauties from all angles, and really need to be picked up and admired regularly. I have lots of them both, and love handling them as well as looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely selection and all with hidden tales to tell. I'll look at the things around our house with new eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A handsome collection - my faves are probably the stones and shells! I love taking scans of them too. Sometimes they become part of our image library, directly or subliminally, don't they?

    ReplyDelete