Thursday, July 24, 2014

Excited recollection and anticipation

The work of sculptor Thomas Houseago gave me a tremendous thrill of the kind that made me feel I must continue to push myself to create.  It is also such a positive to respond thus to contemporary art, especially when increasingly I feel I can engage less and less with what is being lauded.
Pour-Head/Portrait Study
On seeing a note of the current exhibition of Houseago's work in the Hague, I was reminded of the exhibitions I saw in Oxford a few years ago, the pieces I saw in Wakefield, and look forward to seeing more in the future.
Once upon a time, with an artist whose work had such a strong effect on me, I would have booked a trip to the Netherlands.  There was a time when I would travel all over just to see an exhibition, but now I am much more discriminating - and I manage my excitement better!
Now that my dutiful daughter years are over, and I am recovering from them, I find that the importance of trying to make my own work is increasingly taking over.  There comes a point when one can see too much of other people's work and there's a desire just to work, work, work and think about work.
Of course that does not exclude reading about and seeing artists' work; but I'm finding it good to be discriminating, and to choose to revisit where an acquaintance was too superficial rather than constantly be pursuing the new.  So, while I often turn over in my mind my memories of Houseago's work, and look forward to having the opportunity to learn what he is doing, and see more at some point - I am content to work with what I already have.

2 comments:

  1. You have chosen a stunning piece for your post, and your response does not surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Eirene. Houseago's work is one of the very few which set my mind alight recently.

    ReplyDelete