Sunday, June 29, 2014

Just enough memory, ... and two quotes

When we visit the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition I buy the published list and mark it as we go round.  Foolishly, sometimes I think that I will remember a piece.  Well, I did that this year, and I not only forgot the name of the artist, but what room the piece was in.  I have been going through the hundreds of titles room by room, ... and then I decided to put the last shreds of my memory of the piece into Google.  It was a figure on a hillside, so I typed those words and print and RA summer exhibition - and it came up in the images! 
 
Melvyn Evans: Landscape with figure and Sacred well  linocut print (from here)

Another two delights were quotes I came across today:

Lauren Laverne: Good art never makes you feel too stupid to understand it, even when you don't.

Leonard Bernstein: To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time.

9 comments:

  1. I love that Leonard Bernstein quote! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you love that linocut. What wonderful rounded shapes, very reminiscent of your own work. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LtW-WtL, yes - I was particularly taken with the prescription of not enough time. It can be difficult to know when to stop when there is too much time.

    Karen, yes, and I particularly like the tree in the body too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - the quotations are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Sheila, they sound as if they come from experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are a delight - the Leonard Bernstein with its allusion to the power of time in focusing the mind speaks especially loudly to me. Knowing when to stop is always an issue and if you have to, that makes it all the easier. The judgement somehow seems sharpened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, I'm coming to believe that limiting the possibilities is a good thing - it helps to focus on what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of memory, I would have thought... I was impressed that you remembered this piece so well, and you must have been impressed with what Google can do...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eirene, yes, but I suspect there was a lot of luck involved in this search, because many of the artists included in the Summer Exhibition do not have websites. But, yes, I was delighted both to have remembered, and to have the Google magic work so well!

    ReplyDelete