Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Conjunction

I am very much enjoying a flaneur reading of Seeing Things, a collection of writings on art and craft by Alison Britton.  It has me thinking about all sorts of aspects of making, as well as reminding me of makers whose work I have admired over the years.  So I was delighted when a review in this month's Sculpture magazine took me back to a maker who had slipped into the mists of my memory: Ursula Morley Price.
I love so much of her work for its deceptive simplicity both of design and making, for the contained exuberance, for the scale of it - small enough to have in one's home.  Although looking at this film of an exhibition in Troyes last year, I am not attracted to the works in such close proximity to each other that they fight for breath.  I much prefer each individual piece in its own space.
At present I am working on the sea pieces which I started with scribbles in Cornwall this year, and Ursula Morley Price's pieces evoke thoughts of underwater plant life and corals.  My stitching always leads to much thinking - even while watching tennis - and this reminder of Ursula Morley Price's work is feeding into those thoughts.
There is a piece in a nearby ceramics collection which I must revisit sometime.

2 comments:

  1. These are stunning, Olga. I have never come across of her work before. Like you say, they look so simple, but must be so hard to make. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Eirene, but I can imagine that the process is wonderfully meditative: pinching out those individual gills/wings/flaps.

    ReplyDelete