Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Black and white

In one room of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition hung by the artist Cornelia Parker she has chosen to restrict the work to monochrome: a black and white room.  In the whole room the piece which interested me most of all was Parker's own Prison Wall Abstract(A Man Escaped). This consists of twelve photographs of Pentonville prison wall (in London) with marks left by workmen - she took the photos just before an inmate escaped. 
These prints are a gifted urban abstract, but a wondrously spotted, isolated, and presented gift.
Two other artists also with black and white work which attracted me were Emma Stibbon and Wuon-Gean Ho.
Emma Stibbon has this year joined the Royal Academicians.  I found her prints of landscapes wonderfully dramatic and painterly.
Wuon-Gean Ho's piece is an artist's book.  Normally I have no great opinion of these because so little can be seen.  However, this time every time I passed the vitrine I was drawn to this concertina book.  I was certainly intrigued enough to look the work and the artist up once I returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment