Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Local walls

No matter how slowly I putter along, there is always something fascinating to look at and think about.  This morning there was mist out at sea, but strong sunshine on land again.
I set off for a longer walk, both in distance and time - the latter stretched first by my curiosity about Cornish walls - or Cornish hedges.  I have always loved the hairiness of walls in Cornwall,
the way that some of them are a vertical garden - here is a succulent which has flowered in this recent heat since I noticed it last,
and so many I think of as being relatively neat.  (Although they could be said to be 'hairy' also in the sense that they are often so tall, and bounding such narrow twisting roads that driving can be quite nerve-wracking!)
Dry stone walling has its different patterns and methods all over the country, and it seems that there are variations within areas too, because I have not before noticed the kind of walls they have locally.  Here there seems to be a greater range of sizes of stone built up in a mound.
But not necessarily consistently even round the same field.
But nonetheless they are all decidedly attractive,
with their newly dug rabbit holes everywhere -
their sculptural gnarled roots and thick stems -
and on tops and South-facing sides, the new leaf growth of the escaped and now wild crocosmias stunning in the bright sunlight.

5 comments:

  1. I love stone walls. I take photos of them all over the place and so much prefer the ones that are falling down with plants finding homes in the crevices. We have them in all states round here and at least two different styles. All great to draw and photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Margaret, I agree that dry stone walls, as well as fences fascinate me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking closely is so rewarding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eirene, the older I get, the more I agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, you're right - same with me, even though I had not consciously realised that until I read your comment just now.

    ReplyDelete