Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I had an idea ...,

but we all know that even the best of them 'gang aft agley'. And this one that I have been puzzling and working over for a wee while certainly needs shelving right now.  It is to go into that drawer which contains trials of ideas which although worthwhile are not yet ready to emerge as finished work.  I never think of it as giving up exactly, especially after reading Samuel Beckett's Worstword Ho:  Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Fail again. Fail better
These lithographs are by Tom Phillips, another artist whose work I admire (as well as Burns and Beckett) - whose standards are high, encouraging me to experiment but also to know when a line has to be drawn.
The act of shelving decided, I can now relax, and get on with the next things on my list.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Beckett quote, Olga, and will try and remember it - I am sure it will come in very useful very soon.... I just love the idea of failing better.

    In the meantime, I am wondering what the idea was...

    But, you have done the right thing and as you say, you can get on with things now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eirene, I came to that quote through Tom Phillips' lithographs, and had it up as a postcard for years.

    The idea was a construction thing - never really clarified, and doesn't yet work. Needs forgetting and then remembering with better approaches to a solution one day.

    ReplyDelete