Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Floats my boat

The sea is a force of Nature which is a great attraction for me, but I also find the symbolism around it powerful.  Boats, and their symbolism too: they convey so much in their elegant curves.  It was a boat I chose when I was designing a logo for my final publishing business - and I still keep it now.
I enjoy several artists' boats, but my favourites are mostly those of the sculptor, printmaker, and painter Ana Maria Pacheco.
Her sculptures are viscerally powerful, such as The Longest Journey:
from here
and I like this beautiful relief carving
from here
but I find her prints just as compelling, such as the drypoint etching of The Longest Journey
from hereThere are so many boats in her extensive and fascinating body of work.
from here and
this Terra Ignota I from here where there are more Terra Ignota boats - scroll down on the link.
I enjoy her paintings too:
from here.
There is much more on the Pratt Contemporary website - more boats as well as a treasure chest of other delights including her artist's books.  Indeed one of my current reading pile is illustrated by Ana Maria Pacheco: Christopher Ondaatje's The Last Colonial, Curious Adventures and Stories from a Vanishing World.

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same about the sea, Olga. I need to look at it and I need to be in it - I can think of only one summer, the summer between the two years when we lived in the States, when I did not spend my time near it. Spending summers by the sea is something I treasure. And I feel the same about the symbolism that surrounds it.

    As for Ana Maria Pacheco, I think her art is so powerful. Unfortunately, she is so underrated, I think. I had not seen the boat before, so thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Pacheco's work does not get the attention it deserves. The boat is like all her sculpture, absolutely overpowering and never quite leaves the viewer.

    ReplyDelete