Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bright misty morning

My husband and his camera went out at dawn today, and so I took my walk much earlier.  Looking out I saw that the sea mist had come inland - but the sun was trying to get through so I decided to set off anyway.
I encountered even fewer people than previously, and found the enclosing low light brought out various attractive atmospheric elements.
When I reached the coastal path I could hear the sea as well as the high pitch of the fog horn which had accompanied me from the house (I was brought up with the words fog horn meaning a raucous smoker's deep throaty kind of sound - it is clean and electronic now), but no seagulls, no bird song or cries at all.  It was interesting trying to work out what kind of waves were splashing about just from their sound.
The warm weather has brought out the flowers in the garden of the cottage.
And I finally got round to taking a photo of the gypsy caravan opposite - it belongs to the Gypsy Caravan B&B.


3 comments:

  1. Funny how some sounds can be so strongly linked to place. Foghorns take me instantly to east Kent, to the days before I was married when I lived alone in Broadstairs. I frequently heard the North Foreland lighthouse, mournful and haunting, often in the early hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was misty here too, today, Olga, but then we had bright sunshine, as I'm sure you did as well. You've been so lucky with the weather, it couldn't have been better. Enjoy the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the power of sounds, Margaret. Although the visual is strongest, hearing and smell are also surprisingly powerful reminders of places and incidents.

    Eirene, although Nigel had sunshine just four miles up the coast, the house here remained in its bright mist all day. But as I was deep in Philip Guston all afternoon, that was fine. We have indeed had splendid weather - tomorrow we return home, happy and full of inspirations.

    ReplyDelete