Sunday, March 16, 2014

Back home

Now that we are back home, it suddenly strikes me that we do not have much time before we set off again - and such a deal to do.  The bright sunshine is also insisting that I start doing some spring cleaning too.
While we were away last week I finished stitching one small piece 25 x 18cm approx: Juggler (Fall).  This week I must finish it off and iron it ready for photography (this is just a quick scan).
I knew that this one would be done quite quickly, and took another piece of work with me.  I learned that trying to sew silk on silk with close dark colours in tiny stitches in dim light does not work!  Bold contrasts will be accompanying me next time.
This week, however, I must concentrate on finishing my second experimental quilt for entry to the European Art Quilts VIII before the end of this month.

6 comments:

  1. Love that tree! And then, sigh. It's been so long since I've done that kind of intense stitching on a quilt. I love the look & actually quite enjoy the process, watching the texture appear but so much has intervened to keep me from it. I imagine I will return to it some day soon. Heck, I've just decided to hand applique down some circles that just as easily could be fused or machine applied. I've missed the contemplative nature of handwork.

    I also laughed knowingly about the silk on silk comment. I once hand quilted a queen size Amish style quilt - black thread on black fabric. It never occurred to me how difficult it would be to see that black thread. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheila, I don't blame you for not doing much hand stitching. It used to be perfect for when I spent all day with my mother, but now I want to achieve some work more quickly. I still love the contemplative nature of it, as you say, but I shall do less of it - on huge pieces anyway. This one is small at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Idaho Beauty, I love the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture given by the stitches, small or not, and will watch out for your experimental quilt with great interest.

    ReplyDelete