Sunday, February 09, 2014

Gaze sets off a train

Reading Eireine's post the other day got me thinking about the gaze and hence to broad aspects of gazing.  The thought which captured my time the most was the idea of a captured gaze.  This is something which perhaps would conjure examples in photographs by someone like Henri Cartier-Bresson, but I have not pursued this line (yet).  It immediately brought to mind the beautiful work of Audrey Walker.
The face is the shop window of body language, and merits close observation.  Those who are familiar with my work will know that I don't 'do' faces really, mostly because that shop window can be so easy to dress for effect. But I do admire those who can capture gazes like these. 
  (from here - please scroll down)
There is an interview with the Victoria and Albert Museum here, and a piece chosen for the Crafts Council 40:40 celebration here.
With Walker's work I often find myself feeling that somehow the subject is a knowingness, a self consciousness, as if the pictured knows the observer is there, and is keeping her thoughts away to herself.  This adds intrigue to the frozen moment - that element of enigma which I so enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. That middle face is especially bewitching. I find myself wanting to follow those eyes and speculating about where that sad wistfulness leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I realised that the strokes in the painting were stitches, I was entranced. what an amazing artist. thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like Vicki - it took me a while to realise that the strokes were stitches. Amazing work.

    The images of the captured gaze that you have posted reminded me of another captured gaze - I will post tomorrow in response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. I find Audrey Walker's work beautiful, and I regret that it is not more widely known.

    ReplyDelete