Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Life-enhancing

Ever since the perfect life class that I attended when we first moved here - over 20 years ago now - I have been looking for another such.  It was perfect for me because it was a class for the students at Winchester School of Art - life classes were not compulsory, and so the elective one was held in the evenings.  In order to add to their kitty they made it also open to non students, and I along with two or three others would go along, sit in a corner and just get on with things.  That was the first life class I had ever attended, and it was not taught - I learned by observation, both of what I was doing, and by observing the work of the students.
  Three minute poses
Today I attended the first session of a class which I hope will come near that perfection.  It takes place once a week for two and a half hours, and is meant for those who know what they want to get on with.  There are about eight or ten of us, mostly well matured, like myself!  And despite having forgotten how hard it is to get back into the swing of things: establishing that direct link between the eye and the hand, and learning to look at three dimensional flesh and bone, etc. after using my imagination or elements of photographs for years ... I think I'm going to enjoy it.
I have started with charcoal until I become looser and more confident, and then I shall move into colour - which is what the class is supposed to be about.  Last year I read Drawing and Painting People: a fresh approach by Emily Ball in order to help loosen me up.  I shall return to that again now while attending these classes to see if I can devise an approach for myself.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these drawings Olga. I love the second one, an unusual subject and very evocative. I hope you continue to enjoy the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eirene, thank you. I have a way to go, but I look forward to enjoying the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first drawing, Olga! Great that you have found a place to practice - hope it works out for your benefit and enhance your love of using figures in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would seem from your blog to be right up your street and I love the apparent freedom of the first drawing.

    I agree absolutely with you about the value of a really good drawing class - but haven't found one for a long time - not since our children were young and we lived in Bath.

    However, I go to a friend's studio with three like-minded people and we experiment and play and I find I can draw in whatever way takes my fancy, which is almost as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so good to have the time, space, and camaraderie to be able to loosen up and try different things, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete