This time I made a plate by painting my carborundum mix 3 onto perspex through a stencil,
on top of an existing plate made with the Liquitex sand product. As you can see above, that one had been patchy, and was beginning to wear away under the armpits. The new plate was much more robust.
This time I wanted to add colour: I wanted a kind of Pompeian look with that lovely dark red for the figure and balls and a blue background. I enjoy working with chine
collé, and wanted to try using a whole 'page' background. I like the effect of soft pastels and the intensity of their colour, so decided to try them out here.
The first background consists of a sheet of brown wrapping paper which has been balled up small and opened out many, many times, then ironed. On top of that I put the soft pastel and fixed it. I was doubtful that it would work, and there are a few glitches and spots that were in the paper and have become a little more obvious to me now. And there are a few smudges from the red ink, but they are my fault - or let us say the fault of my haste, inexperience, lack of finesse, whatever.
But I very much like the crumpling effect on the body and balls, and this was also true of the subsequent prints on tissue paper. The first of these was on tissue paper which I had folded horizontally as well as scrunching. I wanted to see if those regular folds would show up as well as the random creases. And I was pleased to see that they do.
The second of the tissue paper prints was an experiment to see if deliberate pastel marks would stand up on the wet paper: loose circular marks above, and vertical marks below. These also worked well, and I particularly liked the way that the tissue creased over the rough carborundum mix on the body of the juggler in this print. (The image below has a shadow at bottom right because I forgot to put a weight on the print when I scanned it.)
The final chine collé was to be another variation of pastel on tissue paper - all ready and with the glue brushed on, ... but something happened to distract me, or to make me knock the thing in place so that the tissue folded back on itself, could not be eased apart, got worse - and so I threw it away. Some pastel had remained on the plate, the tissue had nudged the ink on parts of the plate, but I put the paper on and printed it off anyway in the spirit of experimentation.
I find the result interesting, apart from the irritating smudges.
One spring night
1 hour ago